Download FrostWire 4.17.0Tuesday, November 4, 2008 18:38
Download FrostWire 4.17.0
FrostWire is a peer-to-peer file sharing program for the Gnutella and BitTorrent protocols. FrostWire is written in Java, and is a fork of LimeWire, another popular Gnutella client. Released under the GNU General Public License, FrostWire is free software.
The project was started in September 2005 by members of the LimeWire open source community, after LimeWire’s distributor considered placing “blocking” code, which it was developing in response to RIAA pressure and the threat of legal action, in light of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd. When eventually activated, the code could block its users from sharing licensed files. FrostWire was first released in October 2005 . Starting from version 184.108.40.206, Public Service Announcements can be found on the Community Chat tab.
As with LimeWire, FrostWire is in Java, and therefore is capable of supporting multiple platforms. While LimeWire is available in both free and paid versions, FrostWire is released only as a free version. The FrostWire program includes all of the functionalities of LimeWire’s free version, as well as a few features of LimeWire Pro’s payment based upgrades. FrostWire also provides a chatroom, which is absent in LimeWire. FrostWire’s interface is nearly identical to that of LimeWire’s, since it is based on the same code base. However, the color scheme is slightly different. As in LimeWire, FrostWire’s skin may be changed to a variety of different colors and shapes.
- Completely Free and Open Source
- BitTorrent Support
- Turbo-Charged Download Speeds
- Absolutely NO Spyware or Adware
- Connects to more sources
- Creative Commons license support
- Max. speed network connections
- Junk Result Filters
- Community Chat Rooms
- iTunes Integration
- Firewall-to-firewall transfers
- Proxy Support
FrostWire 4.17.0 Changelog
* Upgrades on our update notification system, capability for featured content and recommendations
* Updated Playlist (drag and drop support, and Playlist rearrange options)
* New Media Player with volume and seek controls (Plays mp3, ogg and wav)
* Support for private torrents
* Greater control over your Shared files
* Add Magnets to Open Dialog
* Improvements in bootstrapping
* Warn When Too Many Files Shared
* Make Ultrapeers ignore partial results
* Mojito DHT capable (still not active for 4.17.0)
* More translations to be available for the community on launchpad.net. Many improvements for Spanish, and Italian and Chinese have been finally been added among others
* Reduce query traffic by knowing firewalled state; implement leafs informing ups of firewall status.
* Recognize flv as a video extension.
* Enable removal from playlist via the Delete or Backspace key.
* (Bittorrent) Extended BEncoding to support rational numbers.
* Add support for alternate location lookup for BitTorrents.
* Use less memory for large number of leaf connections.
* General Save folder improvements.
* Smoother Icon Tray Icons for Linux and Windows
* FrostWire now runs under Java SE 6 on Mac OS X (however SE6 is temperamental; it exhibits some strange connection issues). More integration with the MacOSX dock and other components
* Speedup Magnet/Torrents at startup.
* Add partial search results.
* Exclude magnet downloads from being purged after 7 days.
* Incremental search on the Settings window
* Default setting tweaks for users with high speed connections (T1,T3) to make the most out of their bandwith
Download FrostWire 4.17.0