Download 7-Zip 4.62Tuesday, December 2, 2008 19:04
Download 7-Zip 4.62
7-Zip is a free software/open source file archiver designed originally for Microsoft Windows. 7-Zip operates primarily with the 7z archive format, as well as being able to read and write to several other archive formats. In operation a user can use the command line, graphical user interface or Windows shell integration. 7-Zip began in 2000 and is actively developed by Igor Pavlov. It is related to a cross-platform port, p7zip.
In contrast to the market-leading programs WinZip and WinRAR, which remain as proprietary competitors, 7-Zip is distributed under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) (with the unRAR license restrictions), and as such is free software (excluding the non-free RAR code). 7-Zip was the winner of the SourceForge.net 2007 community choice awards for “Technical Design” and for “Best Project”.
7-Zip supports many features, some which may not be found in popular commercial compression software.
* For encryption, 7z archives support the 256-bit AES cipher. Encryption can be enabled for both files and the 7z directory structure. When the directory structure is encrypted, users are required to supply a password to see the filenames contained within the archive, unless only the data was encrypted but not the filenames. WinZip-developed AES encryption standard is also available to encrypt ZIP archives but doesn’t offer filename encryption like 7z.
* 7-Zip flexibly supports volumes of dynamically variable sizes, useful for backups on removable media such as writable CDs and DVDs.
* When in 2-panel mode, 7-Zip can be considered a basic orthodox file manager.
* 7-Zip has the ability to unpack archives with corrupted filenames, renaming the files as required.
* 7-Zip has the ability to create self-extracting archives.
- Some bugs were fixed.